Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Threshold Art-2

My previous post on this topic was here:
Just to jog your memory..

Now a days turmeric and vermilion have been replaced by paints. Who wants to scrub their thresholds every week and apply turmeric and vermilion especially those living in cities who don't have even time to breathe. More over getting it painted is almost a permanent solution, needs repaint once in 5 or 10 years. Still the art of decorating is very creative.

Here is an example: 
This is the main threshold of an old traditional house in the coastal region. See the design of the flowers and the leaves. See the hibiscus flowers placed in the corner  worshipping the threshold.
See the scenery in the center. The paint has peeled off a little. But we can still make out the scenery. Blue mountains in the distance, orange and yellows of the sky denoting the sun rise, birds flying on their way to start their day.  We can also make out a house with slanting roof. These are tiled roofs (terracotta tiles) which is quite common in the region. The house is situated on the banks of a river. The most common tree is coconut. So the artist has added a few of them along with a boat in the water. The artist had captured the essence of the local region with just a few strokes.

I wish the scenery had not peeled off. It brought back memories of my child hood, my roots, my maternal grandma's  house and so much more when I visited the house.....I will share those moments with you in some other posts....

Oh by the way can you share with me any pictures of threshold art of your homes, if you have anything different? Send those pictures via email with a little description about it...We all would be very glad to see them please.....

Watch out for more on threshold art.

4 comments:

Ranjana's craft blog said...

Nice ones. In my native place I can find these things. Those have carvings also. If I get the photos, I will definitely share with you.

Ms Sharma said...

Thank you Ranjana. Please do when you can Thank you

Unknown said...

Hey..Ms.Sharma can I get more of those designs...

Ms Sharma said...

Thank you so much Mr Venugopal for taking time to visit my blog and posting your comment. I will try.
These days in cities they prefer simple designs. It is only in towns and villages, that people encourage such creativity.