Monday, June 20, 2011

Recycled Crafts - Bookmarks


Book Marks With invitation Cards

One of the most difficult ones to dispose off  in India are the Invitation Cards. We receive so many invitations for marriages.  They have the pictures of Gods or auspicious symbols like OM etc. It is believed that throwing away such cards into dustbins or cutting or tearing them brings misfortune or bad luck. So we don't know what to do with them. They keep on piling up.


So I just thought of recycling them by making book marks. The outer envelope, outer card can be cut. But inside it is the invitation which should not be cut or torn. So here is how I have made some book marks. I will post one of them today:
This is the outer card which had a printed paisley border on the edge with Ganesha on the upper part.


I first cut the entire lower part of the outer cover length wise, since it had a gold paisley border and then cut into two halves. It already had a fold, so I took both the upper side and under side of the card.
This is only  one half of the piece. 


Then I folded (along the crease) and glued it. Then I punched a hole and inserted a piece of gold rope (scrap from one of my projects), twisted it and knotted. Here is the book mark. Simple and classy.......

Bookmark

Isn't this easy to make? I have to make more from the left over card pieces. Let us see how I can use them.....


So next time don't throw away the invitations....You can use them creatively.....


Keep a watch.......




4 comments:

Dr Sonia S V said...

Lovley idea. I also dont throw away the wedding invitation cards!

Siri said...

Nice and useful post. I didnot know what to do with so many inviation cards I receive. Now I will try this out. Keep posting

Ms Sharma said...

Thank you Siri and Dr. sonia

Anonymous said...

Nice way to recycle wedding cards