Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Rangoli-86



Sankranti Rangolis-2



This is second in the series of Sankranthi Muggulu. But before posting next series, I want to answer a question raised by Sri Sandhyagaru. 
  • The Designs drawn using lines (straight, horizontal or criss cross lines) are known as Dravida Muggulu or the Rangolis of Dravidians. This sort of designs are also drawn by the people of Tamilnadu during this auspicious month which they call it as Margazhi. 
  • However some special designs which are drawn during this month and also during the four days of festival are peculiar to Andhra region. 
  • These designs were once drawn during the entire month before Sankranti festival, including Sankranthi. Also on Ratha Sapthami day, which comes after Sankranthi, when the Sun is worshipped.
Thanks a lot Sandhyagaru and other friends who are appreciating my work. I want to keep this art form alive for next generation.

Now for the next series of designs.
These are small designs but a bit bigger than those posted in my previous ones.
This can actually be further improved upon depending on the space and our creativity.
This is one of the designs I drew. I have just put some turmeric and flowers
This is a square design. Here too I have put some turmeric, red coloured vermilion, flowers and red berries. These Rangolis are not coloured.

2 comments:

srisandhya said...

Hello Sailaja garu!

Bhogi subhakankshalu first of all!
Thank you very much for the info. I did not know these designs were that old!! (Old enough to be known as "dravida")
Looking forward for the rest of them :-)

Ms Sharma said...

Thanks andi Sandhya. Meeku mee vallandariki Sankranti Subhakankshalu.

I will try to post as many as I can...:)