Thursday, January 8, 2009

Welcome to My Blog

Friends Welcome to My Blog.

I have named it as Indian Summers. You know why?
As a child when I was in school, we had holidays for three months in the summer, which are very hot in India. I used to eagerly wait for them because I was free from studies, had lots of time to play and pursue my hobbies of reading, painting and arts n crafts.
I could visit my native place, the palatial old house with huge flower and fruit gardens handed down the generations, spend time with my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and childhood friends. I could watch loads of movies, enjoy eating Mangoes, decorating my long hair with the fragrant flowers of Jasmine, sleeping under the star studded skies, enjoying moon light filtering through the fronds of Coconut, Neem and Mango trees and listening to granny's stories ,her child hood memories, making pickels out of mangoes and many more.
Later on as I grew up I looked forward to those visits of my native place for attending marriages and other functions, enjoying the pomp and show, gorging on the sumptuous feast, especially a variety of sweets, learning more about my culture and my traditions.
Today the hot summers, fragrance of the Jasmine and Mangoes takes me back to those days of my child hood of which I have very fond memories.
I want to share with you all a little bit of me, my culture, my traditions, values- my India in short. I also want to share my experiments with arts n crafts, cooking, painting and all other things I enjoy.

Please make some time in going through my blog and leave your valuable suggestions, comments which would help me in improving my self.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Indian Summer also holds similar memories for me.

Joan said...

I love your blog Sailaja. You reminded me of my teenage Summers visiting my Aunt's farm in Pennsylvania. Where me and my cousins, sat up on a hill in the evening, watching the sky blanketed with stars. We picked out the constellations, and enjoyed the balmy night. Swimming in my Aunt's private lake in the afternoon, and catching frogs. Running barefoot in the grass, and so much more.

Joan from Creative Needlework Group.

Ms Sharma said...

Thank you Chitra and Joan

Rengin Yazitas said...

Yoour memories reminded me my childhood, I wish I could have much more photos related with those wonderful days. Sailaja, I always interested in with your culture and read lots of books. Please share photos of your lovely country!
Best wishes,
REngin, in Istanbul

Astrid said...

When summers (in Norway) reached +30C - my parents used to call it "Indian Summer". I think we all have good memories from our childhood, and what I remember the most is the smell of hay drying in the sun...
Great blog Sailaja! I'm looking forward to learn more about your crafts and culture.

Best wishes,
Astrid in Mauritius

Madhavi said...

Just loved ur blog. In a day browsed the whole blog. Great articles, great tutorials. awesome keep stitching and sharing.
regards
madhavi